Oh Crumbs Chief

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Whew!

So... it's been an interesting couple of days. I took a trip to the health food store to pick up some ginger candies in the hopes that they would calm my stomach. I found them, with the help of a woman who worked there, who also proceeded to show me every item they had that contained ginger. After it was discovered that I am pregnant, she went on to tell me that the pre-natal vitamins my doctor prescribed for me are full of garbage and that I should take theirs instead. Then she went to tell me some miracle stories about how they have helped (not cured) people with cancer and other various ailments. All in all, it was slightly overwhelming. But, I am going back today to pick up ginger tablets to take to Germany with me. The candies didn't really help (I ate about 10 yesterday), but I'm hoping the tablets will be a bit more... forceful. Also, I think I'm going to try their all-natural remedy for morning sickness. I've lost some weight, which wouldn't haven't been healthy even if I wasn't pregnant, so at this point I'm willing to try (almost) anything!

Also, I feel really bad for anyone who sits near me on the plane because I have motion sickness to begin with. I think I might call the airline to warn them, and to request a vegetarian meal because airplane meat is nothing short of heinous.

Anyway, if anyone has any morning sickness remedies that have worked for them, shoot them my way - I would LOVE to try them!

Just one more note... I've been slightly more cranky lately. I know it's the hormones, and I shouldn't really say cranky, because I've been able to cut off any obscenities before they start gushing. But I've been able to stick up for myself and speak my point of view, which is very new to me, and it feels good.

Okay, another note... ("don't stop him, he's rolling" - guess the movie!) I've been working on my brother's 5-year anniversay gift to his wife, which keeps crashing my Photoshop because it's huge. He is having a custom puzzle made for her, so he gave me all these pictures from their wedding and family members to make a collage of and it's coming out really nicely. That makes me happy.

From Under An Octagon Window,
Danger Mouse

4 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Twinks. said...

I don't know about morning sickness, but I did see this one episode of Mythbusters, and they said the best thing for motion sickness is to take some sea sick pills. Hope it helps!

Twinks ;)

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Stu said...

Animal House! (Germans?)

As for motion sickness, I am a notoriously bad person with any form of motion (elevators, escalators, daydreams)... I love the SeaBand device. It's available at most drugstores and it's simple to use (just wear it, with the plastic button pressing against your wrist's pulse-point).

 
At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For morning sickness - (I got mine in the evening, but hey...) Of all things, plain rice. Just plain white rice, with maybe a bit of salt to taste.

I would make a batch in the microwave, and then nibble on it off and on. I kept a little something in my tummy all the time (nothing worse than food hitting a queasy stomach - it's sure to make a round trip then) and because it's so bland, it didn't make me feel bad just to think about it. The BRAT diet works great for all kinds of tummy troubles. You'll find it useful with a baby/toddler around.

B-ananas
R-ice
A-pplesauce
T-oast

Don't worry too much about the flight - it may not be as bad as you think. Do you know what type of plane you will be flying on? The bigger the plane, the less motion sickness you will (likely) have.

And remember - you probably don't have too much more morning sickness to suffer through. It does pass! The second trimester is great - you'll feel so energetic and happy and vibrant!

I know right now it seems like FOREVER, but on your baby's birth day, all this discomfort will be completely forgotten!

(((hugs)))

T. :)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Ericka said...

i've never experienced it myself, but i had 10 friends give birth last year within 3 months of each other. (i completely avoided the water for a while.)

aside from odd cravings (swiss colony petite fours by the truckload, trader joe's almonds and cleveland stadium brown mustard, for example), most of my friends survived on something close to t's brat diet. add saltines and ginger and lemon tea by the gallon and you're there.

congratulations!

and i'm sure you know this, but i'd be leery of salespeople making too-good-to-be-true claims about their products. that being said, most everyone i know got sick from the prenatal pills - especially the high doses of iron. if your nausea doesn't get better, talk to your doctor about other options for vitamins. (they'll recommend flintstones vitamins, which for some reason are completely disgusting once you're no longer 10.) good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home